[mythtv-users] I guess I don't understand...

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Fri Jul 18 18:16:50 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 12:46, Guy Bayes wrote:
> I'm not even going to try to work it through the
> serial port, seems pretty pointless when you can buy
> an IR blaster for $10. I totally do not understand why
> anyone would build a homebrew? Something wrong with
> the commercial ones?

How homebrew?  I didn't have to build anything to get serial working.
Just a standard RS-232 serial cable, ensuring that my cable box has
firmware version 7.54 or greater, and a couple of scripts (that I'll
happily send to anyone who wants them).  Set mythtv to use an external
channel-changing script, and it's done.

Total cost?  Just the serial cable and whatever serial adapters you need
(like gender changers or 25-to-9-pin adapters...)

	-I
--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com