[mythtv-users] saa7134 working well

Zaheer Abbas Merali zaheerabbas at merali.org
Fri Jul 18 10:25:52 EDT 2003

I am doing a demo on how to install mythtv and what mythtv does for you
at a meeting of our local community IT group on wednesday evening.  So,
I had to acquire analog TV cards to put in the pundit that is going to
be used as teh demo machine.

I found it hard finding a new tv card that had built in sound and
guaranteed support under linux, didnt know what chipset the analog
hauppauge cards had, cx88 or bt878.

I saw an Elite EZ-TV PCI card that has SAA7134 chip and hence stereo
sound.  I got it on a try basis to see if it works under Linux.

I am happy to report, that it works excellently with the latest (0.2.8)
version of the saa7134 driver from bytesex.org.  It didn't autodetect
the card so I had to modprobe it with these options:

modprobe saa7134 oss=1 card=4

I tried it in mythtv, and it has the best quality picture of all the
analog cards I have used, and excellent sound (the saa7134 chip decodes
stereo).  It changes channel fine without a problem and with minimal
delay.  In xawtv, it works in overlay and grabdisplay modes.

The card has the following connectors: tv-in, fm radio in, svideo in,
composite video in, line in, line out, remote control dongle input.

It also comes with a remote control, remote ir extender cable, fm aerial
to connect to the fm input, and the stereo to stereo audio pass through
cable which for myth is not required as it emulates an oss device so no
soundcard required to record with.

Its height is small enought to fit 2 in the pundit with ease, and to sum
it all up I would recommend this card to anyone.

For people in the UK, it can be bought from http://www.redstore.com for
£34 + vat.

The technical info can be found here:
http://www.redstore.com/fx/techinfo.php?itm_code=ELIGPC004