[mythtv-users] Multiple tuners with different channels

Dave dave_fluff at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 18 02:01:04 EDT 2003

 --- "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net> wrote: > >

> So, basically, you're saying that 'sourceid' from the videosource
> table
> should always be a power of 2, and the 'sourceid' field in the
> channel table
> (should probably be renamed to 'sourcemask') should be a bitmask of
> sources
> containing that channel.

Yes, that's it, it would be a kind of bit-mask.  It'd be a way of
expressing this kind of info, without having to have a column per
source or something, which would be unworkable.  I do apprechiate that
doing operations on this kind of bit-mask number could be quite
difficult compared to the simple = operaton.

*snip*

>  In
> addition to tuning (probably the easier set of changes), this would
> also
> create serious complications in the backend setup/channel
> configuration and
> mythfilldatabase -- you'd need to be able to create a video source
> with no
> channels of its own, but instead tell it to add its sourceid to
> channels
> already present in an existing source.

Well, for a GUI setup, it need not be too complicated.  You could just
have it as a grid, with a list of channels down the side, and sources
along the top, and the user could just tick boxes to show which
channels each source had.  Also, I don't see why mythfilldatabase
should be different, since it'll just grab listings for ALL channels
regardless of which sources they're available to.

And you shouldn't need to specify a "favourite" card for each channel.
It could still treat the first card as favourite overall, but if a
channel isn't available on that card, it'll just drop to the next card
and so on.

As I said before, I do feel guilty for posting a "what I would like
is...." without being able to offer actual code to back it up.  I do
think Myth is already totally awesome, and I wish I could contribute.
But, from reading other emails in the archives, I'm sure I'm not the
only person with this kind of set-up.

Cheers again,

--Dave