[mythtv-users] Telly's Free Program Guide

Shawn core at enodev.com
Thu Jul 17 12:52:26 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 11:06, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > I would think it would be better to modify mythtv to get guide data from
> > sources that were intended for the person using the mythtv box.  I.E.
> > getting the guide data directly from the program guide on the digital
> > cable box, the cable networks tv guide channel or from vbi information in
> > areas where television listings are sent in the vbi.
> The problem is, most of the sources you mentioned only yield information
> about programs currently showing.  At best you might get a day's worth.  Not
> very useful for scheduling.  Also, the sources you suggest are all highly
> specific to each cable/satellite/broadcast provider.

VBI is not just one day... I can browse forward quite a way with mine.
Further, I would suspect VBI data is at very least only specific to
cable box vendor, i.e., scientific atlanta.

Even if the data were formatted differently per-region or provider, it's
consistent over time, unlike the shitty web tv listings changing
everything around like a bunch of fux.