[mythtv-users] PVR 350 Sound Issues

JJ Copeland amadeuss69 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 10:28:18 EDT 2003

I recently installed mythtv on my Mandrake 9.1 box.  The video looks great,
but I get absolutely no audio when I try to watch live TV.  The box is using
an AMD Athlon 800 in an Epox motherboard that has onboard audio (Mandrake
set it up using the via82xx driver by default).  I'm using most all of the
Mandrake install defaults, the only thing I've installed is the ivtv drivers
for my Hauppauge PVR 350 and the packages required for mythtv.  The
installer set up my sound card automagically, and sound works great in KDE.
I've tried switching between OSS and ALSA through the KDE control center (I
think that works), but I always get the same error when using mythtv or
mplayer: Cannot open /dev/sound/dsp.  I've tried running both the front and
back end as root, so I don't think its a permission problem.  However, when
I do a cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg and play back that file, sound works just
fine.  The error message mentions something about 'something else is using
/dev/sound/dsp', but I have no idea what that could be.  I'm running
everything through KDE which starts the artsd server by default, but after
killing that process I still get the same error.  I've been through every
piece of documentation I can find on the subject, but nothing has worked.  I
tried replacing the msp3400.o file (that compiles as part of the ivtv
package) in /usr/lib/modules/2.4.20.13/kernel/drivers/media or wherever the
original was located, and that didn't help either.  Does anyone out there
have a similar setup?  If so, how did you get it working?  Please post any
comments or suggestions that might help, as I'm pretty much up against the
wall with this one.  Thanks.