[mythtv-users] Dedicated x-box frontend? (xbox newbie question)

Dane Kantner webmaster at cmtweb.com
Wed Jul 16 14:19:24 EDT 2003

I've been following these threads... and I'm a bit of a newbie to the Xbox
( I don't have one--I am hoping to buy one soon kinda thing) so please
excuse my ignorance... Anyway, my understanding of modding the xbox to run
linux was that you basically modded it and redid the OS, and at that point
you couldnt really use it as it originally was intended (a game platform).
I vaguely remember reading that, but these seems wrong... Are people just
redoing the boot sector and doing some sort of bootloader to choose (evox
dashboard?), or what exactly is going on?  Are you still able to use the
xbox for games *and* running linux?  I'd imagine so, or I don't see why so
many people would be jumping this route (other than to have a very cheap
'pc')?

-dane