[mythtv-users]Finally got everything set up! (have a few minor questions though)

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Tue Jul 8 23:34:38 EDT 2003

> 1. do most of you keep your settings for recording and live tv the
> same? If not, why not?

I do. Live TV takes more cpu than just recording without watching, so
some people have more cpu friendly settings for their Live TV than
recording profiles. Other people don't have much hard drive space so
their recording profiles will maximize compression. But if your machine
is powerful enough (it is) you can set them both to be something that
pleases your eye.

> 2. im not very familiar with codecs, which would I be better off using
> mpeg4 or the rtjpeg one, I tried rtjpeg and I got a 1.8 gb file for 30
> min of video on default bitrate. So im trying mpeg4 now.

mpeg4 = more cpu demand, smaller file size
rtjepeg = less cpu demand, larger file size.

> 3. Speaking of bitrate I have mine at 3000, seems to be pretty stable
> now, what do you most of you have yours at?  Is there a setting where
> after x I wont be able to see the difference.
it depends so much on your reception and the quality of your tv out and
the quality of your tv and maybe some other things. You will just have
to play with it. I highly recommend not going "oh, I need 720 x 480 and
6000 bitrate to have best quality!" I slowly backed down the quality
until _I_ could see a difference, then added back a little bit. Now I
do 480 x 480 and 2600 bitrate because I couldn't tell the dif when I
used higher quality settings.

> 4. should I not mess w/the min/max/diference between sliders (the ones
> below bitrate)

don't mess with those. If you set them wrong you can get some crappy
results, and stuttering.

> 5. what should my audio sampling rate be? I have it at 4100 now I
> think and my mp3 quality is 7 which seems to be reasonably good…what
> would improve/decrease the quality more the sampling rate or mp3
> quality slider?

try it

> 6. what is transcoding?

I believe disabled in 0.10 (is that right?) It is basically for people
with slow cpus to record at high quality/large file sizes and in the
background transcode to something more compact.

> 7. when I exit the mythfrontend I notice it says openingOSSdevice on
> /dev/sound/dsp ….this is weird, it should be using alsa, its using the
> settings from the alsamixer

I think alsa emulates oss devices. So to myth it is the same.

> 8. I tried changing the brightness, but when I changed channel it went
> back to default, is there a way I can say, brightness 40% for all
> channels (or should I just do this on the tv/monitor)
don't know.

best,
Cedar