[mythtv-users] Re: pvr350, dxr3, g400-tv & nvidia TV-out quality ?

Stefan Frank sfr+lists at 6913304088794.gnuu.de
Tue Jul 8 01:00:37 EDT 2003

Ok,

so i'll comment on what i know: the Marvel G400-TV connected to a TV.

 Heikki wrote:

> g400-tv - ok - picture about the same as nvidia - more black frame
> though, but seen people have gotten around that problem. also slower
Configuring X to use f/b mode with a proper framebuffer mode fixes this.

> than nvidia card. also never got vesa framebuffer to work on tv - so
> have to wait until X is fully operational (I don't have a monitor on my
> stb so its nice to see whats going on if its not coming up properly)

Keep in mind that i only use a 10years old ~20" TV.

My settings for Live-TV/Default are:
   -resolution 704x576
   -decimation :  2/2
   -mjpeg quality: 70% (no visible difference to 100%)

X resolution set to 640x511 (b/c of the small TV screen)

On the TV, the quality is actually quite good compared to the TV tuner
picture itself. Color settings in mythtv need to be adjusted, though.

Using mythtv on a remote fronted (laptop with TFT screen, ~15" i think)
of course reveals the limited resolution + the picture seems a bit
'noisy'.

Setting the decimation to 1/1 gives a much better picture on the TFT,
but saturates the network (picture pauses every ~ 1-2 sec.).

So if you're not looking for the ultimative Home Theater solution, the
Marvel might still be an option. Ok, the files are huge, but with 100GB HDD
it's not a big problem anymore.

If the PVR 250/350 weren't so expensive, i'd switch to these, though.

Just my 0,02 ¤

--
It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God.
It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

                                   -- Thomas Jefferson