[mythtv-users] Tuner type for Pixelview BT878P+?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Mon Jul 7 15:17:08 EDT 2003

At 04:50 PM 7/7/2003 -0400, Jay Camp wrote:
>I'm not using btaudio.  I just loaded tvmixer and tvaudio (if I recall
>correctly).  I have the output on the tuner card directly connected to my
>speakers just to see if I was getting any sound of my tuner card to begin
>with, to rule out any misconfigurations in my sound card.  Shouldn't this
>work?

It should, as a test.

If your vidcap card is working correctly, then connecting (working,
powered) speakers to it should cause sound to come out whenever it is
capturing anything. If it does not, you probably have a hardware problem
with the vidcap card (I say "probably" because I've *never* seen this test
fail, or heard of it failing, so I can't think of what else would cause it
to fail ... but I am not familiar with your vidcap card).

Once you have verified that the card is offering sound output, you should
be able to jumper it to the sound card's line-in input and capture sound.
(The vidcap cards I've used came with short jumper cables for this
purpose.) At that point, any remaining problems with sound are sure to be
on the sound-card side of things (either the card itself, the kernel
modules that access it, or its settings as controlled by, for example,
alsamixer).

BTW, I still do not know what your actual symptoms are ... so I can answer
specifc questions like the one you asked, but I fear that I am not really
helping you with whatever the underlying problem is.

[deleted]