[mythtv-users] Re: HDTV (HDCP) + MythTV

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Mon Jul 7 14:29:19 EDT 2003

I don't know about ATI, but I do know a bit about the DVI-D , DVI-I, and
Nvidia specs.

If you're using real DVI-I then there is nothing special needed.
DVI-I has backwards compatibility via additional pins.  DVI-D doesn't
have analog pins, DVI-I can use these pins.  Basically what happens
in the dongle (and or DVI<->component cable) there are 5 pins in
the DVI-I connector that are really for component RGB, YcPbCy (or
whatever those letters are ;) ...)

I have a AV DVD Player with component out, and since my projector only
has no DVI-in, it supports DVI-I, and takes in component signals via a
cable that has DVI-I on one side, and component connectors on the other.

I also for kicks used the DVI->15 pin DSub (VGA) dongle that came with my
NVidia card, and then used a 15 pin Dsub (VGA Connector) to DVI-I cable and it
worked fine too.  My point is, I know NVidia respects DVI-I.  And since
DVI-D is a subset of DVI-I, I do a straight pass from the DVI port on my
NVidia card, to my projector via DVI-D.

I paid $25 for my 10 meter Component to DVI-I cable from AV Mall.

--Brandon