[mythtv-users] Any news on the Conexant 23881 driver?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Sun Jul 6 22:37:03 EDT 2003

At 01:58 PM 7/7/2003 +1000, Martin Brown wrote:
>I unfortunately bought a Hauppauge WinTV PCI with FM radio the other day
>hoping I could run it under linux with bttv, xawtv, etc. Now I find it has
>a new decoder chip - the Conexant 23881 instead of the 878/848. The driver
>at http://bytesex.org/cx88/ seems really alpha and not particularly usable yet.
>
>Am I just going to have to chuck this card and find an ATI TV Wonder or
>somesuch?

Yes ... at least for the moment, anyway. You would do better to watch the
cx88 site -- and its asociated mailing list, if it has one -- for news on
that driver than this list.

As to alternate card possibilities ... I week or so ago, I sent Robert some
draft revisions to the Myth HowTo for his consideration. Included was a
standalone document called "What video capture cards work with MythTV?" ...
written as a FAQ item but easily adapted to the HowTo's format. It
summarizes reports from this year on the mythtv-users list about what cap
cards do and do not work with Myth (that is, with bttv or ivtv, pretty much).

I'm not sure what the status of that and the other revisions is. If people
think it would be useful, I can post a copy of the draft FAQ item here.
(Most of it is in the MythTV Beginner's FAQ that I posted an early draft of
here sometime lastr week.) If not, you can search the list archives (sorry,
Vernon) and find on your own the information I've summarizedor my earlier
draft).