[mythtv-users] Getting Started with MythTV

Vernon Graner vern at txis.com
Sun Jul 6 23:27:44 EDT 2003

Hi Robert:

After reading some of the "hey, you should have no problem" responses, I
wanted to give my $0.02 worth on this topic, since I've been trying now
for about 6 weeks and still have no MythTV working.... :(

Just to compare apples and apples, I started with Linux using Slackware
in 1996. I've been a casual user since then and have to admit I've spent
the majority of my time with Windoze (work requreiments) though I use
PCs/Networks daily in my work.

I started out having a really tough time just getting a hard copy of the
docs (ever tried to print ANSI codes from windoze?) and things have gone
downhill from there. I tried installations with three different sets of
hardware and three different distros (Debian, RedHat and Mandrake). In
every case, I hit a show-stopping (no pun intended) problem that left me
dead in the water.

I spent the ENTIRE DAY today working with Debian (Woody) trying to get my
PVR-250 to work. I even imposed on a friend of mine who makes his living
using Linux to come over to see if he could get me "over the hump" so I
could at least see the MythTV interface come up. After 17 kernel compiles
(no I am *not* exaggerating!), he gave up on Debian and we did a RedHat 9
install from scratch, four kernel compiles later, and no mythtv. :(

He just left and right now I'm installing Windows XP pro on the machine
with the intention of testing to see if maybe the PVR-250 somehow got
damaged (I'm gunna use it's native software to test it out).

Frankly, I've been a bit afraid to post to this list with my problems
since I prefer not to be made into a smoldering pile of ridiculed newbie
ashes (I have enough stress in my life). The usual answers are "search
the archives" so thats what I've been doing.... usually to find partial
answers or tantalizing hints to answers or answers that are relevant to
some older version of a component. :::sigh:::

Anyway, I've got about 70 hours invested into the project now with no
tangible results ('cept I sure have gotten better at compiling kernels
and installing OS's!). I certainly can't blame anyone for my time
investment but myself. Honestly, I've gotten somewhat pissed about this
and have determined that even if I end up formating the drive afterwards,
I *will* see MythTV run one way or another dammit! :)

There may be those who have had right-out-of-the-box working systems and
were up and running with only a tweak or two but as for me, I can only
say you might want to think about how much time you invest before you
just say "forget it!" and go buy a TiVO (or a ReplayTV). :)

Vern

PS: For those of you who are interested, today's foray was using this doc:

http://www.geocities.com/dlou99/mythtv.html

and when I got stuck on the ivtv part, I used this:

http://patrick.wagstrom.net/weblog/archives/000132.html

I'll be posting the details and begging for kind assistance in another
post shortly after I test the PVR-250 under Windoze to make sure it
works...

--
Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE     | "If the network is down, then you're
Senior Systems Engineer     | obviously incompetent so why are we