[mythtv-users] Non-HTML Version of the Docs?

Vernon Graner vern at txis.com
Thu Jul 3 23:52:33 EDT 2003

John Madill said:
> I thought I read a posting about this, but where is the non-html version
> of the doc file kept?
>
> When I work on a computer, sometimes it's nice to have the
> instructions/notes *not* on the same screen with what I am working on.
>
> -jm

I had to laugh when I saw this! This is *exactly* what happened to me
when I decided to take the plunge and build a MythTV box about 4 weeks
ago! It took me *two days* to finally get a copy of the docs printed out!
Heck, just >getting< the docs is a rather unfriendly process if all you
have is a windoze box ("Step One: CVS the docs" uh oh...) Unfortunately,
I don't get to tell my employer what to run so thats what I'm stuck with
at work...

I eventually got a friend on a Linux box to fetch the CVS, and then CAT
all the HTML DOC pieces into a single HTML file, which he ftp'd to a site
I could reach and then I printed them from Mozilla. Ok, two days of
futzing around, and now I at least have the docs.... woo.

It sure would be nice if the things were available in a simple PDF
somewhere.... Oh, and yes before I am turned into "Nubee Flambe'", I
*did* see the .TXT file and, no I *couldn't* print it out since it had
embedded ANSI codes that would not interpret! The docs looked like CRAP
on every Word Processor I brought them up in (Word Perfect, MS-Word,
Notepad, Wordpad, DOS-Edit, Open Office writer & KDE/Redhat writer) and
trying every import filter every program had to offer. I know those fancy
ANSI codes make it look cool when you "more" it from a bash prompt, but
they become distracting and sometimes misleading characters when they are
"seen" rather than interpreted.

I was thinking to myself "this doesn't bode well, I can't even print the
*%^#$ DOCS for cryin out loud!!" Oh well... Maybe I'm just grouchy cause
I still don't have a working system.... :P

Vern

I WANT MY MYTH TV!!