[mythtv-users] Is there a MythTV ISO image w/ "universal" hardware support?

Vernon Graner vern at txis.com
Thu Jul 3 23:05:09 EDT 2003

Ok, from reading the discussions here, it seems that there are some
"relatively" standard hardware combinations that seem to function quite
well with MythTV. However, in all my searching for ground-zero setup
instructions, it seems that in order to have a MythTV box, you have to be
able to compile kernels, locate obscure patches, operate CVS, etc.

So, my question is why hasn't anyone created an ISO image of a working
system, with everything loaded and ready to go? It seems like the natural
"next step" to make this project available to less tech-skilled people.
Recently, I used a distro called "Knoppix" that seems to be happy
wherever  it wakes up... Could something like this be used as a base for
MythTV?

I think I remember someone on the list mentioning an ISO image available
for the Pundit, but it was pretty specific in that it was a CF image and
required the specific chipset in the pundit. I was thinking more along
the lines of a *general* purpose ISO that would recognize and work with
most of the common hardware people use to create a system.

Of course, if such a beast exists, I will gladly endure the "RTFM u
n00b!" flames as a reasonable price to pay to be made aware of it... :)

Vern

<!-- fighting and currently losing my 3rd battle with Debian tonight...
:( -->

--
Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE     | "If the network is down, then you're
Senior Systems Engineer     | obviously incompetent so why are we