[mythtv-users] Powersaving tip on Athlon PCs.

Chris Germano netslayer at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:52:16 EDT 2003

Thx for passing this on, I just enabled it on my AMD box, I'm using an AMD
Athlon 2400XP+ (2000) o/c to 2200, which is about 2700XP+ level so I want as
much heat and power saving as I can. I find it stupid that my linux
(Mandrake 9.1) will not turn the hd's to standby when they are not in use. I
this setup in my BIOS for a timeout, yet they never do as I have checked
with hdparm -C /dev/hda1. I have to set the drives manually using: hdparm -S
20 /dev/hda1, hdparm -S 20 /dev/hdb1 to go on standby but only the secondary
one does, not the primary.

Anyhow I was wondering where you got your watt meter and how much you paid
for it? I have never seen a multimeter with this feature of course if my
electronics classes serve me right is wattage just Amps x Voltage? I have to
get a better multimeter, I can only measure voltage right now so I'm still
stuck.

hmm this isn't good, I'm in MythMusic right now listing to some mp3's and I
just typed in:

[root at localhost chris]# setpci -v -H1 -s 0:0.0 6A=$(printf %x $((0x$(setpci
-H1 -s 0:0.0 6A) | 0x0001)))
00:00.0:6a 19

For my SIS 735 chipset and the audio turned half to static. Guess this won't
work, too bad, I just ran the disable command and it came back.

[root at localhost chris]# setpci -v -H1 -s 0:0.0 6A=$(printf %x $((0x$(setpci
-H1 -s 0:0.0 6A) & 0xfffe)))
\00:00.0:6a 18
[root at localhost chris]#

On further reading on the athcool site
http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/jacobi/linux/softwares.html they suggest this
as a problem and it looks like none of those developers have tested many of
the newer Sis 730 series mobos, oh well.
Chris