[mythtv-users] Feature Idea

Vernon Graner vern at txis.com
Wed Jul 2 11:44:19 EDT 2003

Jeff Monks said:

> Remember ReplayTV's new "sharing" feature that would let you share
> recorded shows with people on the internet?  That prompted another
> lawsuit...  If memory serves, they took that feature out before it even
> hit the market.

Actually, the internet show-sharing is in all the 4000 and 5000 series
ReplayTV units and has been since day 1. All you need is a broadband
connection and the address of another Replay owner and about 6 to 8 hours
to transfer a 1 hour show. Most requests happen overnight like this:

"Hey [your friend w/a Replay TV] can you send me [24/CSI/Farscape]? My
[Cable/IR Blaster/5 year old] screwed up my scheduled record last night."

The "??AA" and various other organizations brought suit against Sonic
Blue (still pending) claiming commercial skip and show-sharing were
copyright infringements... Leading to the quote about "watching TV w/o
commercials makes you a their!"

Now Sonic blue is bankrupt and sold the Replay TV stuff to D&M
(Dennon/Marantz) and they announced it will *not* include commercial skip
or show sharing in *new* versions of the unit.

The community is a bit nervous since the EULA for the ReplayTV says they
can "add and remove" features whenever they want... Which is sorta why
I've been lurking this list for about 3 weeks now..... :)

Vern

--
Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE     | "If the network is down, then you're
Senior Systems Engineer     | obviously incompetent so why are we