[mythtv-users] XMLTV is Broken in North America

Jason James jason_james_97 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 11:55:55 EDT 2003

--- Robert Schultz <robert at cosmicrealms.com> wrote:
> Just to let everyone know, before we start seeing
> about a billion posts
> about it, xmltv is broken in north america.

Perhaps now is the time to work with the tv schedule
sites. Currently, MythTV users simply take the
listings without supporting the tv schedule sites
business. Tsites make their money off of partnerships
with providers, user subscriptions or advertising.

Choice 1: MythTV users could agree to let the site
advertise on the EPG in exchange for giving us the
listings. The tv schedule site would agree to let us
know when the format changes, and better yet, supply
the information in an XML format in the first place.

Choice 2: MythTV users would pay a subscription fee in
exchange for an XML feed of the content. I believe
this should be a pretty modest fee, along the lines of
$3.95/month.

The MythTV community is a fast growing and savvy
userbase that are creating exciting new convergence
technologies. I believe that the tv schedule sites
would want to support us if we made it worth their
while. If there were enough MythTV users interested in
either option, it could be a good business opportunity
for one of these companies. Is this something that
folks on this list would be amenable to?

./jj