[mythtv-users] developing Myth modules on WindowsXP?

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Thu Feb 27 16:48:08 UTC 2003

> OS X == FreeBSD + Apples own shell Aqua and some more stuff the wrote.
>
> If you know how (AFAIK you need some console program) you can use an
> OS X
> systems command prompt just like you would on Linux.

I like OS X enough that when I'm working on my linux box I just sit in
front of my OS X machine and ssh in. I use the apple-supplied
terminal.app program which you can find by default in your utilities
folder. I personally use tcsh but bash and all the others are available
too. One reason I like it is I set my console window to be
semi-transparent so I can read text on the window behind it, which is
nice when you are following along with documentation or whatever. Once
you are on the command line life is very much like linux. Some small
differences are easy to get used to like instead of /home/myname it is
/Users/myname. And when I finished compiling hacking away and I close
that console window and I have the most elegant lovely desktop
environment you can imagine. When I got a linux box (so that I could
play with mythtv) I was really dissapointed in the desktop
environments. Red hat has this sort of crippled thing going on, with a
lot of missing graphical hardware and software configuration
functionality. Mandrake was better with that, but it was sort of a
pathetic mish-mash of control panels and so on.  It looks like it has
been designed by 1000 people who have never communicated with
eachother, which is probably about right. I also tried debian, which I
liked for package management, but it didn't solve my complaints about a
good desktop environment with complete and intuitive control panels.
Anyway the linux experiment has been a bit of a disappointment for me,
(except I really like the free aspect of things, both as in beer and
speech) with the exception of mythtv of course. Maybe some day it will
run on OS X too. Or maybe a linux distro will come along with a desktop
environment as nice as OS X and the same level of multimedia support
too right? right? guys?

best,

cedar

	Henk Poley <><