[mythtv-users] Minimizing a Distribution

usenet at wingert.org usenet at wingert.org
Fri Feb 28 16:07:27 UTC 2003

The package installer is failing to authenticate properly to the mysqld
server on localhost. I'm getting this message (using "dpkg-reconfigure
--force mythtv" after an initial, similar failure on the apt-get post-install):

DBI connect('host=localhost;database=','mysql',...) failed: Access denied
for user: 'mysql at localhost' (Using password: YES) at -e line 5

And mysqld is logging the failures with messages like:

030226 12:50:48       5 Connect     Access denied for user:
'mysql at localhost' (Using password: YES)

The message and log entry are identical (except for username) if I try
using root rather than mysql as the administrator name. If I use the mysql
client, I can connect to mysqld as root or as an ordinary user.

I fear I am missing something obvious, but not being an experienced mysql
user (I installed it for the first time today, just to run MythTV), it
isn't obvious to me. The installer does ask me to identify the mysql
administrator account ... if it is not root (the default in the script) or
mysql (the user ID under which mysqld runs), then wnat is it?