[mythtv-users] Installed and Working

HoytDuff hoyt at cavtel.net
Tue Feb 25 20:39:49 UTC 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 08:51, Jason James wrote:
> <rant> NVIDIA sucks for Linux. The only thing I would
> avoid is the Nforce chipset and the GeForce. It's a
> total pain to install and (I'm sure) will be a total
> pain to maintain for a very simple reason: no GPL'ed
> drivers.
>
> As long as NVIDIA is stuck in the dark ages, I will
> never use or recommend their gear again. RH8 is so
> easy to install, it has autodetected nearly every
> piece of hardware I've ever had, but there is nothing
> it can do with NVIDIA's binary only drivers.

I would disagree, having installed NVIDIA video drivers on three RH8 systems.
NVIDIA choose to not release GPL drivers, but that doesn't mean that the
quality or usability is bad. The XFree86 nv drivers are poor (although the
most recent do 2D just fine). Distros like Xandros and Mandrake Power Pack
provide pre-compiled NVIDIA drivers. Yes, it is inconvebient to compile new
drivers every time you upgrade the kernel, but if you are installing MythTV,
you should have the skills to cope with it.

--
Hoyt
http://www.maximumhoyt.com

Run with scissors. Remove mattress tags. Top post. Be a rebel.