[mythtv-users] I can't watch TV

Juraj Pisarcik juraj.pisarcik at vvexpert.sk
Wed Feb 26 15:03:30 UTC 2003

I bought an EPIA 800.  I can say I am very unimpressed with its performance,
I can see why Cyrix went away.  At DVD rate MPEG2, mplayer has to drop frames
to keep up with the bitrate.  I'll have to note that this is something my
PIII-450 does fine.  On the other hand power consumption is pretty
impressive at 12 watts at idle (my Athlon and PIV systems pull about 80 watts).

I also got an X-Box to play with as a front end.  There again, I am
unimpressed.  The XBox is a monster and very noisy.  It also draws about
60 watts when running.

If VIA gets their butt in gear and provides MPEG source or binary hardware
support for MPlayer, Ogle, ...., there will be a pretty good feather in
their hat.  I think I'll stay away until they do.  I can't see a
200 MHz increase in processor speed being able to reduce the processor
load significantly (in Intel terms maybe, but not Cyrix).

Anyone know of a low power Athlon/PIII/PIV setup capable of decoding
DVD rate MPEG2 and still having 20% idle?

Thanks