[mythtv-users] New User System Setup Questions

JC johnmythtv at crombe.com
Thu Feb 20 05:21:57 UTC 2003

> metal to fit in the case), a 12x DVD Drive, and a Creative Infra
> Remote.

Hi,

I bought a Creative Infra Remote (for like 8 bucks plus shipping) and after
much ado got it working.  Here's the scoop:

1) I could only get it working with the included "credit card sized" remote.
That remote has very few keys.  I had to play around with it a lot to get
the basic mythtv functions with the limited keys.  Now, I'm building a
generic serial infrared receiver and using a purchased Tivo remote (you can
use your existing TiVo remote!).  Should be a much better match since that
remote has so many more keys and it's so ergonomic.

2) The Creative remote has limited range (10 feet?) and only uses watch
batteries.  I don't trust it for the "long run".

Good luck on your project.  I'm an "ex-TiVo" person too and think Myth is
going to be a big step forward.

JC