[mythtv-users] Stability problems when watching live tv

Patrick Benton patrickb at umich.edu
Mon Feb 17 20:14:31 UTC 2003

> Again, I'm not the RPM maintainer but I'll put in my .02.  No the RPM
> does not know that libexpat is broken.  If there exists a newer RPM of
> libexpat, it could know to use the newer, fixed, version though.

fair enough. Is there a newer fixed version available?

> I appreciate the documents and I indeed found them to be helpful.
> However, I also found the RPMs to be helpful. <snip>

I don't have a real problem with rpms in general, particularly if the
documentation is thoroughly read. The problem I have is that these rpms
are made by someone not well known to the project, which means that
though they are probably fine, there may be catch-22 and "issues" with
them that the mythtv regulars are not prepared to address. Second, I
feel that people turn to rpms because they are "easier" than the
regular install protocol. The problem with this is that even to use the
rpms you would have to do a very thorough read of the documentation in
order to avoid some of the pitfalls I mentioned before, and once you
have done that (and addressed those problems) you have lost any "ease"
advantage. On top of that, I think that the crowd looking for  the
"easy" rpm solution is more likely to  skip crucial parts of the
install directions, end up with a broken program, and come looking for
help on the list. In the end I think the regular install, for now, _is_
the easier way to install.

> section of the documentation and give the users another install option,
> I'd be willing to write it.

I personally would be willing to take you up on this offer provided
that:
a) the rpms can be verified as being high quality and robust
b) someone is (somewhat) committed to making high quality rpms for
future releases of myth
c)the documentation you write is as comprehensive as what is already
there
d)you intend to update the rpm parts of the documentation as needed and
with future mythtv releases
e)Isaac and Robert Kulagowski approve

> Take care!  I really didn't mean to cause such a controversy.

no problem. I shouldn't have come off as so bitchy. It is interesting
anyway. If an apt for rpm mythtv install can be made that takes care of
all dependencies  and takes care of all the little issues (like broken
libexpat, lang=c etc etc) then I would be thrilled, and would use it
myself. But not yet. Until then it just creates headaches for folks
trying to help other people get the awesome (but complicated) myth
system going.

best,

cedar