[mythtv-users] more setup & can't open database problems

Muddy muddy at muddysmind.com
Sat Feb 15 05:45:14 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 16:10, Funky Fred wrote:
> Like others on the list, my setup fails with the error:
>
> [stu at localhost setup]$ ./setup
> couldn't open db
>
> This is what my database looks like:
> [stu at localhost setup]$ mysql -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
> Reading table information for completion of table and column names
> You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A
>
> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
> Your MySQL connection id is 35 to server version: 3.23.55-Max
>
> Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
> mysql> show tables
>     -> ;
> +----------------------------+
> | Tables_in_mythconverg      |
> +----------------------------+
> | allrecord                  |
> | capturecard                |
> | cardinput                  |
> | channel                    |
> | conflictresolutionany      |
> | conflictresolutionoverride |
> | conflictresolutionsingle   |
> | oldrecorded                |
> | program                    |
> | recorded                   |
> | settings                   |
> | singlerecord               |
> | timeslotrecord             |
> | videosource                |
> +----------------------------+
> 14 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
> This is what my mysql.txt looks like:
> [stu at localhost setup]$ cat /usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
> str DBHostName=localhost
> str DBUserName=mythtv
> str DBPassword=mythtv
> str DBName=mythconverg
>
> I have set up a root password for mysql (is it supposed to be anything
> in particular??).
> I am running Mandrake 9.0
> Qt 3.1.1 configured with -thread and -qt-sql-mysql
> I've been trying to iron out this whole thing for a few days and I just
> about have given up on my tv tuner card. (averTv desktop tv pvr). I sure
> appreciate any help anyone could give me.
>
> On weird note: In the process of setting this up, the setup program
> initially ran, and mythfilldatabase --manual would run xmltv, which
> would get all the channels, print a happy success message and then Seg
> fault. (actually I'm assumming it seg faulted because it couldn't open
> the database then too). But I would be happy to get back to this problem
> by at least getting setup to run.
>
> By the way I know a little postgres, but have never worked with MySql
> before. This is probably an obvious newbie error or something.
>
> Stuart Smith

OMG! you just gave my exact problems, I had mythtv 0.7 and xmltv 5.6
running with no problems, it was great.
Then zap2it changed something and xmltv stopped working, so I upgraded
to 5.7 applied the two patches and now it's very broke.
I downloaded the cvs of both xmltv and myth last night and even went
into cpan and made sure all my perl modules were up to date as well.
I blew out my mysql database, deleted the .mythtv file and when I run
setup now it's giving my the same complaint. If anyone has an idea
what's going on
we'd be very happy to hear some ideas on how to fix it.

Regards,
Jeff "Muddy" Waters
--
Muddy <muddy at muddysmind.com>