[mythtv-users] Updated MythTV RPMs

Paul Jara pjara at rogers.com
Sat Feb 15 04:06:44 UTC 2003

Cedar,

>why would you want to use the rpms in this situation? You are just
>adding another layer of complexity and potential screwups to an>
>already
>complicated install process. In my opinion there are too many things
>that rpms (probably) don't take into account here.

>For instance, does
>your rpm know that libexpat is broken in RH8?

Again, I'm not the RPM maintainer but I'll put in my .02.  No the RPM
does not know that libexpat is broken.  If there exists a newer RPM of
libexpat, it could know to use the newer, fixed, version though.

>Does your rpm set the
>LANG variable to "us"? Or know that sometimes you have to run ldconfig
>multiple times? Or that sometimes you do need to recompile the kernel
>to get lirc running and sometimes you don't.

No, the RPM does not take these into account.  However, I easily setup
the RPMs on my system (no lirc).  The only time the LANG variable came
into play was when I was setting up mythtv and when I do a database
update; in which case I've got a simple script that sets the LANG
variable before doing a database update.  I did follow the documentation
you've mentioned and was given prior warning of setting the LANG
variable.

>The easiest thing is to
>just follow along with the docs at www.mythtv.org/docs/ You can be
>nearly braindead and just as long as you follow the docs and don't
>skip
>anything you will probably be fine. We have already made all the
>mistakes for you, already torn out our hair, come out the other side,
>and written everything down in the docs! Just follow along, and when
>you get to mythtv it is a simple configure, make, make install. And
>then you won't have to tear _your_ hair out bumbling around with rpms
>made by who knows who, and inventing new problems that nobody really
>wants to solve.

I appreciate the documents and I indeed found them to be helpful.
However, I also found the RPMs to be helpful.  The first time I tried
MythTV, I could not build it properly in RH8.  Perhaps the installation
routine has changed for the better, but I noticed the RPMs and wasn't
feeling like stumbling over another failed install because of some RH8
Perl problems.  I ended up using the documentation _and_ the RPMs and am
now using MythTV nicely:-)  I did not have any sorts of difficulty in
installing the RPMs so I thought it would be nice to share this
information with others.  The documentation is useful and I don't think
the RPMs negate their usefulness - however they complement the
documentation.  Feel free not to recommend the RPM route in the
documentation - however if you'd like to incorporate an RPM installation
section of the documentation and give the users another install option,
I'd be willing to write it.

>ahhhh that felt good

Take care!  I really didn't mean to cause such a controversy.

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 04:49 PM, Alex Davidson wrote:

> I am getting a Segmentation Fault when I run mythfilldatabase and was
> getting dependency errors when I tried to install:
> http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh80/at-testing/mythtv/mythtv-
> 0.7-0at
> 7.i686.rpm
> so I went to
> http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh80/at-good/apt/
> where I downloaded and installed:
> http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/rh80/at-good/apt/apt-0.5.4cnc9-
> fr1at8
> .i686.rpm
>
> I made sure:
> rpm http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/8.0/en/i386 at
> rpm-src http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/8.0/en/i386 at
> were at the top of /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> Ran apt-get install mythtv
>
> and it says:
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Collecting File Providers... Error!
> E: Could not open RPM package list file
> /var/state/apt/lists/apt.physik.fu-
> berlin.de_redhat_8.0_en_i386_base_pkglist
> .at: (no error)
> E: problem opening
> /var/state/apt/lists/apt.physik.fu-
> berlin.de_redhat_8.0_en_i386_base_pkglist
> .at
> E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>
> Could this be a temporary server problem or something more serious?
>
> Alex

Alex,

I forgot to mention you should do an 'apt-get update' after editing the
sources.list file and prior to doing an 'apt-get install mythtv'.  This
is something you should do periodically with apt in general - it will
grab RPM information from repositories.  Therefore, it will seek out RPM
information from new repositories you have added, and update RPM
information from repositories you already have.

If you are still having problems, e-mail me directly, as the problem is
likely out of the scope of this list.

-Paul

My Public Key:
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xAFB17040&op=index