[mythtv-users] X using way too much CPU?

nick ozzy at followthelemur.com
Thu Feb 13 00:05:15 UTC 2003

> This *may* be the same problem being discussed in the mythtv-dev
> list. Check it out at [...]

Thanks for the tip.  Checked out the thread, rolled back to the Feb 4
CVS, and no luck.  Same problem.  I'm inclined to believe that it's
either a problem with my X server configuration, my driver, or just
really, really awful performance by the video chip (on-board ProSavage
DDR).  If I stick the video behind a giant terminal window while it's
playing (that is, nothing is displayed) the XFree86 process shows
almost no CPU usage.  The instant it's viewable, the process uses
around 30%.

Again, what's most odd about this is that playing other videos (mpeg,
divx) in mplayer doesn't produce the same spike.  And unfortunately, I
can't seem to make mplayer play mythtv recordings (even with the patch,
all I get is audio) to test whether it's the way myth plays the videos
or not.  Ugh.  Again, any suggestions more than welcome...

thanks,
Nick