[mythtv-users] problem trying to watch TV

Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com Jeff_Mitchell at accessbusinessgroup.com
Tue Feb 11 14:02:39 UTC 2003

Mike-

Glad you managed to get things working.  Welcome to the club!  The
mythfilldatabase issue is indeed related to zap2it changing their listing
format, if you're grabbing North American listings.  There are some patches
floating around this list for Myth 0.7 + xmltv 0.5.7.

I have no idea what's going on with Myuthmusic.  For me, I compiled and
installed, and it just worked.  Sorry.

-Jeff

                    "Michael J. Sherman"
                    <msherman at dsbox.com>         To:     Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at snowman.net>
                    Sent by:                     cc:
                    mythtv-users-bounces at s       Subject:     Re: [mythtv-users] problem trying to watch TV
                    nowman.net

                    02/11/2003 08:45 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Discussion about
                    mythtv

Fredrik Nyberg DC wrote:

>>> Which soundcard (ie: can it do duplex) ?
>>>

>> It's just an on-board sound card built into the motherboard.
>> Everything else I use in Linux (xmms, mplayer, xawtv, etc..) seem to
>> have no problems.
>>
>> I'm just having a host of issues with MythTV:
>>
>> 1) Trying to watch TV causes it to lock up (apparently this sound card
>> issue)
>> 2) Using MythMusic, when I choose the "Select Music" option mythmusic
>> crashes.
>> 3) Using MythMusic, when I choose the "Play Music" option there is
>> nothing listed (even though it read everything in on startup as seen
>> on the console).
>> 4) In the Play Music screen I cannot edit the playlist
>> 5) Trying to Import a CD also crashes MythMusic
>>
>> Is this program really that buggy?!?!?  It seems *completely* unusable
>> in everything I try to do.  The *only* thing that works for me is
>> viewing the schedule of programs.  That's it.  Everything else seems
>> to crash or hang.
>

> I'm having EXACTLY the sam issues (except for #2). I have a EPIA M9000
> with a bt878, running Via's own drivers and xawtv works and mplayer
> plays music. The problem I'm having trouble resolving is this: can my
> soundcard do dulpex? I have read somewhere that MythTV will not show any
> video if duplex audio is not present (!). Is there some way to confirm
> this? I have read some threads about using two instances of xawtv to
> test duplex, but that doesn't work for me.
>
> Interrestingly enough watching LiveTV can be quit with ESC if I don't
> press "c" (that will hang MythTV). All I see is a blank screen, though,
> but something is being recorded, I can see the cache-file growing.
>
> Another thing is that I have gotten MythTV to show me video twice in the
> last four weeks, but only very briefly. I have no idea what I did right
> those two times and I have not been able to recreate the circumstances.
> Does xmltv provide working channels, or only programlistings? I have
> tried to use both tv_grab_fi-output and xawtv-configuration files for
> mythfilldatabase, but no go.
>
> I have now tried to install MythTV for several weeks. I am becoming very
> disillusioned, so if someone has some answers other that RTFM, please
> help, because I have read the docs and rummaged through the mailinglists
> A LOT.

Okay, last night I got MythTV working.  But I'm not sure I know why ;-).
  I deleted everything associated with MythTV and went back to the
released 0.7 sources (I was playing with CVS).  Compiled, installed,
double-checked installation instructions, and voila!  I was watching TV.
  BTW, pausing live TV is something I never knew was so cool, but now
I'm not sure I can live without ;-).

I have two remaining issues.  The first is with mythfilldatabase not
working properly, but I gather that's because the web page that XMLTV
grabs stuff from changed their format.  So that's no big deal.  The
second is with mythmusic.  I can start it up, and see on the console
that it's discovering all my sound files correctly, but when I go to
choose "Select Music", it hangs.  Any ideas there?

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. - Thanks for all the assistance in directing me towards using Alsa
over OSS.

--
Michael J. Sherman  |  Software Developer
Digital Sandbox, Inc.  |  http://www.dsbox.com/