[mythtv-users] problem trying to watch TV

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Thu Feb 6 17:53:07 UTC 2003

Michael J. Sherman wrote:

>>> you using alsa or oss? If oss, you might give alsa a shot.
>>>

>> Which soundcard (ie: can it do duplex) ?
>>

> It's just an on-board sound card built into the motherboard.
> Everything else I use in Linux (xmms, mplayer, xawtv, etc..) seem to
> have no problems.

completely different. Playing and  recording are not the same thing.

> I'm just having a host of issues with MythTV:

why try just getting mythtv a shot. Then once you know your sound-card,
hardware, prereqs  etc are up to it you can get music and mame and so on
working. You need to carefully follow the docs at www.mythtv.org/docs/
Read the troubleshooting section. Confirm that your sound card can do
full duplex. My be by the way is that a)your card can not do full
duplex, or b)oss sound can't do full duplex with that card, and you have
not tried alsa yet.

> Is this program really that buggy?!?!?  It seems *completely* unusable
> in everything I try to do.  The *only* thing that works for me is
> viewing the schedule of programs.  That's it.  Everything else seems
> to crash or hang.

no, you have issues. It has been running with very little problems for
many people. I have not had a crash in a couple of weeks.

good luck

cedar