[mythtv-users] OT: Looking for a motherboard

manu eallaud at yahoo.fr
Wed Dec 31 04:02:52 EST 2003

Le 31.12.2003 06:24:17, Joseph A. Caputo a écrit :
> On Tuesday 30 December 2003 17:05, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > Well, thanks to everyone who replied to my previous thread, I've
> pretty
> > much decided to to go ahead with an nForce2+IGP board.  Now the
> problem
> > is that I can't seem to find one with everything I want!  I was
> hoping
> > to get the same Chaintech board that Jarod has, but it doesn't have
> > what I need, nor does any other Chaintech or Asus board, or any
> board
> > on NewEgg.  Can anybody out there chime in if they know of a board
> > that:
> >
> > - has nForce2+IGP for Northbridge
> > - has at least 3 PCI slots
> > - has S-Video or Composite out on the back panel (so I don't need
> use
> > a slot for the S-Video header)
> > - has onboard USB (duh)
> > - has onboard IEEE1394/Firewire (pin header would be sufficient)
> >
> > The most difficult thing to find seems to be a board that has both
> GF4MX
> > onboard (w/back panel SVideo) *and* IEEE1394.  I'd really like to
> have
> > both, as I'd like to keep my AGP GF4MX in my existing box, and I
> have
> > external FireWire devices I'd like to use.  In the end, I suppose I
> > could settle for a board with IEEE1394 but no IGP and just use my
> AGP
> > card (provided there are still 3 PCI slots + 1 AGP slot).
> >
> > So, is anybody out there using (or know of) a board meeting these
> specs?
> >
> > Feel free to reply off-list if you don't think others would be
> > interested in this thread.
>

> Replying to my own post here...
>
> I discovered that nForce2 IEEE1394 support is contained in the MCP-T
> 'Southbridge' chipset, so I did a search on newegg for IGP + MCP-T
> and
> came
> up with a few boards.  Can anyone comment on the following boards?
>
> Leadtek K7NCR18G-Pro
> Leadtek K7NCR18G-ProII (same as above + SATA)
> AOpen AK79G-MAX

Hi,
I have the AK79D 400VN (IIRC it's the same as the AK79G-MAX but without
firewire and onboard gfx) and it works great here! Even onboard sound
is OK (I have a MDK 9.2), mplayer gives me really good surround sound.
I only had to disable APIC but this is for almost all nforce2 chipset.
Moreover I use dual channel and it is stable (though I had to set the
mem timings a bit lower than the automatic settings, could be the mem
chips though).
I use it with a wintv401 and I can do LiveTV with no problem (even with
a renice compilation) with only a XP2000+.
So to be short : nice board for the price but I cannot tell about
firewire and onboard gfx.
HTH
Bye
Manu