[mythtv-users] What distro to use with Epia M 9000 + Hauppage PVR-250

Jayson Garrell kyi at kyi.sytes.net
Wed Dec 31 11:54:46 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-31 at 02:16, Jelle Kalf wrote:
> Hi Jayson,
>
> Most of the gentoo stuff has already been documented, but indeed the wiki that contained the documents is down, perhaps take a look at my howto and see how far you can go with that. I also have all the ebuilds the wiki had and some more ebuilds for Xfree-epia, libddmpeg and mythtv (don't forget to set USE="via" for mythtv)

Yes I have read most of the docs, but one of the sites always seems to
be down (or very busy). I'll take a look at your ebuilds and see if I
can use them, thanks. As for the 'via' use flag. I didn't know about
that one, I'll add it and recompile myth and see whats happens.

> further more:
>
> C3 / C3-2 CFLAGS don't work indeed. Seen the via Nehemiah chip is i686 compatible, it isn't like "being stuck" with it. It just works :)

That what I thought as well.

> building from stage1 is noble and can teach you a bit about how gentoo is built, but building from a i686 stage3 tarball will save you about 7 hours of compiling. You'll won't get any performance boost out of it starting from stage1.

This isn't by far my first Gentoo install. Building from stage1 was no
prob since neither of these boards are my main computers. I just let
them do their thing until done.

> I'd suggest you try the new xfree-epia-4.3.99.902-r1.ebuild . Yesterday Totte released a new Via patch that will save you about 10% on video playback.

The xfree version that I used was, 4.3.99.901, I saw that there was a
new version last night. I'll probably try it out this weekend, start
compiling tonight test later. So far X is fine. The only problem I seem
to has is very serious screen coruption in myth when I back out of any
of the menus. The whle screen is garbled execpt for the button that is
currently selected. The frontend still works and when I choose a show to
play or livetv they work fine.

> Jelle.

Thanks for the info.

Jayson