[mythtv-users] can I go as low as 650 to 800 Mhz?

Dave Anderson dave at ineedasite.com
Tue Dec 30 21:29:38 EST 2003

At 08:08 PM 12/30/2003, you wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:46:16 -0600
>Dave Anderson <dave at ineedasite.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm currently running on a PIII 650Mhz with one pvr-350. I only use
> > about 3% to 6% when watching live tv. This is because the pvr-350 does
> > all the decoding and encoding.
> >
> > So the answer to your question, I'd say yes.
> >
> > My system Specs:
> > Dell XPS_T PIII 650 Mhz
> > 512 MB Ram
> > 20GB HDD for OS
> > 160GB HDD for MythTV
> >
> > I also have a 128MB Nvidia display with tv-out installed but not being
> > used. I think the sound card is a Yamaha, but it isn't used either.
> >

>When you say the Yamaha sound card isn't used does that mean you are
>watching TV with no sound?  does CPU usage go up noticably with sound?
>
>Also how does that 3 to 6% stay when you pause live tv or skip a
>commercial, or watch a recording off the hard drive etc?  Just want to
>make sure I have all bases covered because at what you're telling me I
>could probably get by with a PIII 500Mhz with PC100 DIMMS
>(about 256 Megs).  I can get it from a buddy for a fairly good price.
>
>Thanks for your help
>Malcolm

I have the card installed and using the ALSA driver, but the sound is
coming from the pvr-350. I do not have any speakers hooked to the soundcard.

I run at 3% to 6% usage no matter what I do. Watching live tv, a recording,
pausing live tv, skipping forward and back. Now when I was using the Nvidia
tv-out, my usage jumped to 40% to 60% while watching anything, live tv or a
recording. So I say the pvr is saving my resources by doing all the
encoding itself.

I think you will be fine. Just note the ivtv driver is still pretty rough,
but it does seem to work ok. I still can't use the EPG as it freezes my
system. It is being worked on, so in due time. The ivtv boys are wonderful
as is the mythtv boys. My hat is off to all of them.

Dave