[mythtv-users] What distro to use with Epia M 9000 + Hauppage PVR-250

Jayson Garrell kyi at kyi.sytes.net
Tue Dec 30 16:39:56 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 11:27, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> There's a link from that page to a full Gentoo walkthrough, but unfortunately,
> the site seems to be down (presumably for the holidays, as it is a .edu
> addy...). Its doable on Fedora Core, but I haven't done it myself, so I can't
> say what distro would be easiest. I'm actually going to attempt it under
> Gentoo myself, once that site comes back online...

I have Gentoo running on both of my M10000 boards. Right now neither of
them are using the hardware mpeg decoding but, simultaneous recording
(pvr250) and playback are only using 40% cpu over head. I am in the
middle of getting HW playback working but like I said w/ 40% cpu the
frontend is playing back just fine.

I started from a stage1 tarball but I am sure a stage3 would be just the
same. I could never get the c3 or c3-2 CFLAGS to work so I stuck with
i686 and everything has been compiling and running ok. The only thing I
did different from a standard Gentoo install was to use the very latest
xfree86 ebuild, located in /usr/portage/x11-base/xfree/. I'm running the
~x86 flag but there was a newer version in the portage directory that
did show when I did an 'emerge xfree'. I'm running the 2.4.23 kernel
w/bk11 & epia1 patches.

The entire install was done on a tv and never connected to a moniter, tv
out worked out of the box.

Below are links to my XFree86-4, modules.autoload, kernel .config, etc.

http://kyi.sytes.net/downloads/epia/XF86Config-4.epia
http://kyi.sytes.net/downloads/epia/config.epia
http://kyi.sytes.net/downloads/epia/make.conf.epia
http://kyi.sytes.net/downloads/epia/patch-2.4.23-epia1
an the latest bk patch can be obtained from kernel.org

I am going to start writing up a very detailed doc this evening butI
just wanted to give a little info so far.

Jayson Garrell