[mythtv-users] some basic questions ...

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 14:37:49 EST 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 13:41, jwr wrote:
> hi,
>
> I plan to have a mythtv-box, but there are some things, I am not sure
> about:
>
> Is it possible to have a myth-box (ONE pc) with two TVs (and also two
> remote controlls) connected, which can watch different channels
> independant from each other ? This would be my requirement for the
> "watching" side.
>
> On the "recording side" I would be happy to record from one channel
> while watching another channel or maybe have myth do a scheduled
> recording from channel A while "live watching" (including PAUSE)
> channel B.
>
> Is that possible (maybe with running multiple instances of mythtv)
> and if so, what is required ? I plan to use Hauppauge PVR x50
> card(s).
>
> Please assume that CPU power is not the problem and dont care about
> the remote controlls (I plan to install a LIRC conforming network
> device)
>
> Greetings,
> jwr

Let's address these problems one at a time:

- it's certainly possible to have multiple tuners (multiple simultaneous
recordings) and multiple frontends (multiples simultaneous viewings)

- it is possible to have multiple displays driven by a single computer.
This usually requires a multi-headed video card, or multiple video
cards.  Getting video acceleration (Xv) on a multi-headed video card
can be problematic; most consumer-grade video cards only support Xv on
the first head, or on both heads only if they're in 'cloned' view mode.
Your best (simplest) bet (if you can afford it) might be to get 2
PVR-350s and use the TV-out on each one, assuming the ivtv driver (and
Myth) will support multiple PVR-350s as output devices.

- as far as remotes & LIRC goes, you might want to supply more info on
the 'LIRC conforming network device' you're planning to install,
because even if it's easy to set up as a LIRC device, you'll still have
2 clients that want to interface with it.  Even assuming this network
device will handle multiple receivers (will it?), you'll still need to
differentiate between remotes and have only the appropriate
mythfrontend process actions.  This might be as simple as an
appropriate lircrc for each mythfrontend process, or possibly changing
the program name (as seen by LIRC) of one of the mythfrontend instances
to something else (i.e. "mythfrontend2") to avoid conflicts.  (If you
can code, this would be a good area for you to submit a small patch,
i.e., a configurable option (command-line switch) to have mythfrontend
use a different name when it connects to LIRC).

Good luck with your setup!

-JAC