[mythtv-users] Radio implementation

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 12:17:31 EST 2003

I've attached a revised mainmenu.xml, a new
radiomenu.xml and a tiny shell script to provide
internet radio stations within the myth menu system.

All each button does is spawn mplayer to play the
station (killing any running mplayer first).  Some
stations only require the "listen live" url.  Others
require a pass through lynx to translate a playlist
link to the actual stream.  See the examples (you can
do the lynx -dump manually and put the result in the
readiomenu, but I left it as is to allow for changes
at the servers).

Isaac has already stated clearly that mythradio should
be integrated into mythmusic.  This is my quickie
solution.  I like it because you can play the radio
while checking the weather, watching mythgallery, etc.
 But it provides no means of killing the radio if you
go to TV or music.  I was thinking of working on "on
entry" and "on exit" elements in the menu class to
provide the capability for scripts to free up the
sound card when needed or any desired changes (like
screensaver on/off), but I fear that this treads too
far into myth's design philosophy.