[mythtv-users] cheapest place to get a 250 and a 350

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 11:50:48 EST 2003

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 11:04, David Rees wrote:
> Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > The AverMedia M-179 was going for USD$49 on eBay last month...
> > don't know if you'll still be able to find any.  It uses the same
> > chipset as the PVR-250, I believe, and is compatible with the ivtv
> > driver.  You used to need to patch the driver, but I believe the
> > patch has been rolled into ivtv CVS now, IIRC.  Several folks on
> > the list have this card; I just got 2 but haven't had a chance to
> > install them yet (waiting to get a new box).
>
> I assume that the M179 isn't the same as the AverMedia EZMaker being
> sold all over the place on eBay, too, right?

Nope.  The EZMaker is a video capture card *only* (i.e., it can't tune
channels).  Older versions of the card use the BT878 chipset; new
versions use a Philips SAA7130 chipset.  This card may work under
Linux, but if it does it would probably only be as an analog V4L
capture card (i.e., no hardware MPEG compression).  I suppose if it
*does* work under Linux, then it might be a viable solution for someone
who uses an external cable box to tune their channels, but this card is
definitely not for you if you're looking for hardware compression a la
PVR-250/350/M-179.

-JAC