[mythtv-users] ALSA+2.6 kernel +MythTv not a good combination

gkanis at cems.umn.edu gkanis at cems.umn.edu
Tue Dec 30 11:48:56 EST 2003

Hi,
Last week I installed the 2.6 kernel with ALSA support and since then MythTV
is behaving strangely. With 2.4 kernel and OSS support I did not have any
problem.

The first problem was that when I was trying to watch TV, mythfronted would
crash. I found out that this was because it did not have the right permission
to right on /dev/dsp and after searching the forum I found that I need to
use /dev/adsp. I did it, now it does not crash, but something else happens.
I still do not have sound when I watch TV and also the people in the TV move
in slow motion. MythFronted behaves like the system is under heavy load. But
mine it is not. BTW I have P4 at 2.4Mhz. Finally, because mythfronted does
not respond, the only way to stop it is to kill it.
Do you have any idea about this problem?

Thank you in advance for you time,
Vasilis