[mythtv-users] X server on pvr-350 tv-out

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 30 11:43:19 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 11:29, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> David Margrave wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I've got things working great with the X server and the myth TV UI on a
> >monitor, and with tv set to /dev/video16.
> >
> >When I set the X server to run on the tv-out, I get the following
> >behavior:
> >

> It's my understanding that the video out on the 350 is unsuitable for
> use as a generic framebuffer right now...  Someone who owns one can
> correct me if I'm wrong.

The 350's tv out is great for displaying X.  I use it all the time. It
is not accelerated (sp?) so it's no good with many games, but it is
great for surfing the web, running evolution, playing solitaire...

Going back to the original question.  I would not play around with
scripts just yet.  Load everything by hand and see what msgs you get.

Do this by:

boot into text mode without loading any ivtv related modules.
load the modules one by one like so:

modprobe i2c-core
modprobe i2c-algo-bit
modprobe tuner type=2
modprobe msp3400
modprobe videodev
modprobe saa7115
modprobe ivtv
modprobe saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=0
modprobe ivtv-fb

The tuner type=2 line may be different for you.  If your terminal
freezes after the last line it's because you did not use the line

 append="video=vc:0-0"

in your lilo.conf as per the instructions.

check that all modules were loaded:

# lsmod

now start x (This is the line I use with my debian, it may be dif with
your box)

# /etc/init.d/gdm start

login as mythtv user, open a terminal window and run the following:

export DISPLAY=:0.1 && mythfrontend

Did it work?

-jose-