[mythtv-users] Newbie questions

Kevin N. Carpenter kevinc at seaplace.org
Mon Dec 29 20:59:01 EST 2003

Hi all.  I'm brand new to MythTV, so please be gentle...

I've purchased a pcHDTV card and am having one problem, and one newbie
question.  First my system:

Athlon XP 2500 Barton, 512MB RAM, Gentoo based system running vanilla
2.4.23 kernel with pcHDTV patches.
MythTV 0.13.  Nvidia FX 5200 graphics.  Nvidia X driver with glx
enabled.  NO IR yet, so everything is via keyboard.

The pcHDTV card seems to work reasonably well under mplayer - at least
when mplayer isn't complaining about /dev/video32 not existing (a reboot
fixes it).

Under Mythtv, I get a lot of "prebuffering pauses" - like one every
second, which appears to cause the video to pause for a 1/4 second or
so.  I'm also getting "audio buffer overflow, audio data lost!" messages
like crazy.  None of which would bother me, but all I get from the
speakers is a rapid "drrrrrr:" sound.  My first day with the card had
sound kinda working - it was VERY choppy, but currently nothing but what
almost sounds like a 60 Hz buzz.  Again, under mplayer, the sound works
fine.

OK, the above is the problem, now the newbie questions:

1) TitanTV shows me as having 3 PBS digital stations on channel 39 (9-1,
9-2 & 9-3).  I have MythWeb up and running, how do I program those
sub-channels into the configuration?  Is that the recpriority field?  If
so, should I use 0,1,2 or 1,2,3?

2) Mythfilldatabase always shows it filling the analog channels, yet
MythTV Scheduling shows the digital channels per my MythWeb editing.
Should I just ignore the Mythfilldatabase output?

Thanks!

Kevin C.