[mythtv-users] mythtv on disabled tivo box?

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Dec 28 21:35:07 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 18:11, mythtv at brtb.org wrote:
> I think the fact that it's not x86 isn't as important as the fact that the
> main processor's only 50mhz, and IIRC (which I may be very far off on,
> haven't paid any attention lately) there aren't any Myth-usable drivers for
> the MPEG encoding and display hardware.

This thread comes up every few months.  Basically, it's not that the
processor is too slow.  It's not.  If it were, the Tivo wouldn't be able
to do what it does.  Most of the Tivo encoding and decoding functions
are performed in hardware, thus eliminating the need for a much faster
processor.  So it's more a function of not having specs and drivers for
the custom hardware.

As far as the box not being x86, bear in mind that the Tivo can one of
AT LEAST 2 processors, one being a MIPS and the other a PowerPC chip.
That's 2 ports needed of Qt, X (unless you go with Qt-Embedded), and all
libraries used by myth.  It would be a monster task.

And, of course, there's the kernel.  Currently, the Tivo uses a modified
version of the 2.1 kernel.  To keep the existing kernel, you'd have to
backport any/all required kernel interfaces so that Qt/X/everything else
will build, otherwise you'd have to start at building the 2.4/2.6 kernel
on it.  That's why, with the XBOX basically being a low-profile PC, it
was a relatively straightforward port.  Tivo would be much harder.

And now for the good news:
The remote is usable within myth though.  And if the Tivo is
reactivated, you can use MythTivo (tivo-mplayer.sourceforge.net) to
watch shows on it from your myth box.

	-I

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME