[mythtv-users] mythtvfilldatabse on Debain?

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 28 17:05:21 EST 2003

stan <stanb at panix.com> writes:

> I'm trying to get mythtv to work on a Debian unstable box, at the smae tiem
> I'm trying to get a working mythtv system on a machine installed from
> KnoppMyth. At the monent neithe works :-(
>
> On the KnoppMyth system, thee is a utility called "mythtvfilldatabase". I
> managed to get it to download litings data (North Amaerica) after I used
> apt-get to upgrade the version of xmltv that was installed on the by the
> CD, but now when I try to, for example voew live TV, I get an error about
> not being able to connect to the backend. I also upgrade a good bit more
> stuff suing apt-get, so I think this may be the root cause of this problem,
> thus I'm reinstalling from scratch, and plan on upgrading _just_ xmlyv.
>
> Meanwhile on the machine I installed Debian on, I cna seem to find the
> ,ythtvfilldatabase utility at all. Should this be there? If so, what Debian
> packages should it be in? apt-cache search does not seem to find it.

You haven't mentioned whether you are running the stable, or the
testing, or the unstable version of Debian.  If you installed from
Knoppix you probably have an unstable or testing distribution.  In
that case add the lines

# LAME
deb http://marillat.free.fr unstable main

# MythTV
deb http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu/~mdz/debian unstable mythtv

to the file /etc/apt/sources.list and run (as root)

apt-get update

Then run

apt-get install mythtv

which will install mythtv-frontend, mythtv-backend, and
mythtv-database.  The mythfilldatabase program is in mythtv-backend.

Other Debian packages you may consider installing include mythdvd,
mythvideo, mythweather, mythmusic, ...