[mythtv-users] Where is decoding done?

stan stanb at panix.com
Sun Dec 28 15:40:43 EST 2003

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 09:21:07PM +0100, Jelle Kalf wrote:

> The decoding is done in the frontend machine which displays the videosignal.
>
> If you're planning on using a frontend / backend system. I'd advise you to take PVR250 cards for the backend. (Unless you're planning to watch tv on it as well)
>
> If you plan to watch tv on the backend as well, make sure you have a powerfull enough machine (pentium III 1200mhz and up).
>
> The pvr350 is excellent if you want to listen radio (PVR250 has no radio tuner) and / or if you want to output to a TV with the hardware mpeg decoding chip that's onboard.

Thankd for the clarification.

Wouldn;t I want 350's on all the machines I'm going to watch TV on, since
they do the decoding, and the 350 has hardware decoding?

Can I do picture in picture? If so, then do I need two TV cards in the
frontend machine?

Or is software decoding really fast enough? What are the network
throughputs i need per "watching" location? What's the loading on the
backend machien for sending to a fronteand?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin