[mythtv-users] overscan on PVR-350 tv-out

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Sat Dec 27 12:51:55 EST 2003

Thanks!

Hmm...got it working with the Use PVR-350 option, but now no sound and the
keyboard won't esape out of live tv.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

John

Torsten Schenkel said:
> Am Sa, den 27.12.2003 schrieb John Wells um 18:16:
>> Torsten Schenkel said:
>> > Well, that's not entirely correct. In fact, the pvr350 did it as
>> desired
>> for quite a while now. Scaling the GUI size and keeping video output
full screen. You can adjust the GUI size and offsets to fill the screen
(smaller than full screen) and have the video be displayed full screen.
Look for gui size and offsets in the appearance menus.

>> Not sure what you mean here...you mean in MythTV's appearance menus?
>>
>> Btw, MythTV's menu screens now display portions off-screen as well, making
>> some of them almost unusable.  There's got to be a way to scale this
thing?

> Yes, that's what I said, from my walkthrough:
>
> -- Setup Mythfrontend:
>
> 	After you rebooted your machine, you should see the mythgui on
> 	the TV (provided you did everything from above and I didn't
> 	mess up with the above instructions). Your remote should
> 	work. Use it to go to the setup screen.
>

> 	There is not much to say about all the settings, look at the
> 	mythtv docs, I'll summarize what is special for the pvr and
> 	what I think is important.
>
> 	Mythfrontend doesn't run as root, so make sure user mythtv
> 	and/or group mythtv have rw access to all directories!
>
> 	The TV out of the pvr has perfect overscan, so the gui will be
> 	off screen partly, with the pvr you have the possibility to
> 	set gui size independently from the tv/video size.
>
> 	Setup/Appearence:
>
> 		Set gui size to something like: 648x544+50+15
>
> 	Setup TV/Playback:
>
> 		Set Deinterlace to OFF!
> 		Set "Use PVR350 hardware decoding" ON!
> 		Set video out device to /dev/video16 (it should be
> 		that for default)
>

> 		Set Overscan values to 8x8 to get OSD fully on screen
> 		Off screen display also abbreviates to OSD, so no joke here ;-)
>
> 		Play with the above settings, till you get all GUI and
> 		OSD on screen and centered to your liking, this
> 		depends on your TV set, so the above values are only a
> 		start.
>

> 	Thanks to Simon, who pointed it out to me that the "Use PVR350
> 	h/w decoding" option was off screen if you didn't set the size
> 	first and you can't find it if you don't know where it is :-)
>
> --
> Config files for PVR350 TV-Out:
> http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/ivtv-pvr-350-conf.tgz
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian: