[mythtv-users] Decisions, decisions

Peter Lee petel at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 26 12:08:14 EST 2003

Hi.  One small issue whenever you are running cables through hvac
ventilation shafts: At least in Pennsylvania (and probably everywhere else
in the USA) you are supposed to use "plenum" cable.  This is cable that will
limit the amount of noxious gas that is released in case it catches on fire.

Of course, if you are running only a couple of cables this is probably no
big deal, but plenum cable is hardly more expensive than plain cable (at
least if you are crimping your own connectors), and so I think it is worth
going for it if it's not too inconvenient.

Also, most IT admins I talk to prefer to use solid (as opposed to stranded)
cable for longer runs.  While solid cable does not take the wear-and-tear of
use by humans (ie, coiling and uncoiling, etc), for runs down shafts or
behind walls where the cable is never touched, the solid cable is supposed
to perform better the longer the run goes.

Peter