[mythtv-users] Re: Re:What keeps causing "prebuffering pauses" ?!?!?!

Mark Frey markfrey at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 24 19:29:06 EST 2003

 rkrig wrote:
> In mythtv 0.12 everything was fine, I've upgraded to mythtv 0.13 and now
Im
> getting prebuffering pauses. It doesnt happen all the time, it seems to be
> totally random, but as soon as it starts, I cant get it to stop. Sometimes
> if I switch to a different channel, it will be fine, but if I switch back
> then it starts over again. It doesnt always happen on the same channel
> either. My cpu is only used 40%, my harddisk has more than adequate
> performance. Im pretty sure its not my hardware, since A. Everything was
> fine in Myth 0.12 and B. Im not the only one experiencing this.

Prebuffering pauses occur when the process of getting the frame data, and
decoding the frames can't keep up with real time. To diagnose this you're
going to need to provide more information:

What are your machine specs?
What are your encoding settings?
Are mythbackend and mythfrontend running on the same machine? If not what
sort of network connection are you using?
Do you see the same behavior when watching pre-recorded shows, or just with
live tv?

-Mark