[mythtv-users] Live TV Playback Issue

Wed Dec 24 06:04:48 EST 2003

> >> Any Ideas would be great.
> >
> > Unfortunately I don't know of an easy solution, since you
> > need something to do sample rate conversion.
>
> I always thought ALSA did sample rate conversion on the oss
> emulation layer.

It does in many cases, but it doesn't always appear to let you open the device in the sample rate that you want.  This might be only an issue where you are using OSS emulation under ALSA.  For example in my case if I open live TV on a channel with 48Khz sound then it's ok to switch to a 32Khz channel, but not vice-versa, sound goes choppy.  I haven't added debug statements, but I suspect that the first open sets sample rate and perhaps it only downsamples after that...

At some point I would like to have a bash at converting mythmusic to use native alsa, but I noticed that there is some resampling code in the mythmusic output code which might be good enough to use more widely?