[mythtv-users] New Nvidia drivers announced

David Rees drees at greenhydrant.com
Wed Dec 24 02:36:26 EST 2003

David Rees wrote:
> On Tue, December 23, 2003 at 1:53 pm, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
>
>>On Tuesday 23 December 2003 13:08, David Rees wrote:
>>
>>>And I found out that -4496 wasn't really working for me as when running
>>>any GL program (like glxgears) would crash X.  Now running -5328 and
>>>glxgears I get like 1300 fps.
>>
>>Um, 1300 is really crappy. My system, 4363 drivers:
>>
>>$ glxgears
>>21654 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4330.800 FPS
>>
>>I think you have a problem there...
>
> I've got a Duron 800, 320MB PC100, NVidia FX 5200.
>
> I'll try the 4363 drivers and see how they do, too.

OK, I tried the 4363 drivers, they seem to work MUCH better than the
-5328 and -4496 drivers for me.

Now I'm getting about 2000 FPS from glxgears, overscan works so I can
get rid of the blackspace at the edges of my TV, and the image is MUCH
more stable in X.  I couldn't test glxgears with the -4496 drivers, when
I run glxgears it crashes the X server.  Strangely enough, MythTV worked
fine with these drivers as long as I didn't pick the wrong visualization
when playing music.

You'd think that drivers would get better as they get older, but that
seems to not be the case.

-Dave