[mythtv-users] OT: nForce2 -- the real scoop

Brian Scully brian_scully at excite.com
Tue Dec 23 23:23:09 EST 2003

 --- On Tue 12/23, Ann Patterson < annp322 at sbcglobal.net > wrote:
> I got a Biostar M7NCG 400 about two weeks ago, and I've spent most of
> the last two weeks sorting out this problem. The default install of FC1
> seems to have APIC and APCI enabled, and I had to pass "noapic nolapic
> pci=npapci" to the kernel to get things stable. For 2 days so far,
> anyway. There's an email thread about this on the linux-kernel email
> list. They're trying to get things sorted out on the 2.6 kernel, but
> they're not really there yet.

I've got mythtv running on an nforce2 and 2.6 - but it's not stable.  Sometimes it works well - I had a stretch today where it ran for 3 hours with only a couple hiccups.  Tonight though it's just been terribly unstable.  I don't think there are any good reasons, other than masochism, to try to run it on a 2.6 machine - maybe with a different, more linux-friendly chipset (not nforce2).

Jarod Wilson is quite a proponent of Redhat/Fedora/2.4 - and my experience was Debian/2.6 ( which I detailed in my previous thread ), so you may have better luck with that.

Brian