[mythtv-users] My MythTV journey

Brian Scully brian_scully at excite.com
Tue Dec 23 20:51:15 EST 2003

Wow.  This excite email formatter really cranks out some crap.  Let's try that again:

J Linux will use up as much as your memory as it can. 512MB is plenty. I'm
J sitting at a dual Athlon system with 1.5GB of RAM, not doing a huge amount of
J stuff, and there isn't a huge amount of RAM "free! ". Everything gets cached to
J memory for max performance. Again, 512MB is plenty (though I do recommend
J more than 256MB, to avoid swapping). You aren't short on memory.

I'm not sure why swap is being used then. I'm no kernel hacker, but it seems
strange that you would allow your cache to swap to disk - what performance
benefit are you getting? BTW i'm up to 21 MB of swap used now.

B * Upgrade X as far as is reasonable
J If reasonable means the latest stable version, I agree. (Speaking strictly
J about nForce boards).

Depending on your definition of stable: if you use Debian's - it's not quite enough.

B if you're not well seasoned, or coming from RedHat/S! uSE like me
J If you were coming from Red Hat/SuSE, why didn't you stick to one of those? My
J recommendation is generally to use whatever you're most comfortable with (as
J long as it isn't Windows :).

1) According to the HOWTO, Debian is the recommended compilation system.
2) I have also heard quite a bit about how good it is at package management.
3) I have in the past been annoyed by RPM

I see that you're an RHCE and probably very comfortable hacking on RH/Fedora.
Most people on this list probably aren't. KnoppMyth may be a better option for

them.

Brian