[mythtv-users] Re: Patch for Avermedia M179

Brent W. York BWYork at comcast.net
Tue Dec 23 19:07:30 EST 2003

> Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 December 2003 05:23, Brent W. York wrote:
> > ...but ivtv can be tricky to get built. You have to have everything just
so
> > in the headers. I just spent the better part of the weekend getting my
Yuan
> > MPG600 card up and running. After several abortive attempts, here's what
> > Worked For Me:
> >
> > - Install RH9 (or your distro of choice...)
> > - Install 2.4.23 kernel source from http://www.kernel.org
> > - Apply V4L2 patches to kernel from http://bytesex.org/patches/2.4.23-1/
<<snip>>
> Aiee. Is it possible to set up the ivtv driver to support both the Yuan
and
> M179 right now? I ask, because the installation process for getting my
M179
> to work was about 10% of what you went through, so far as time and effort.
No
> vanilla kernel, no v4l2 patching, no kernel compile, no driver patching,
no
> driver compiling, etc...

The same ivtv patch handles both the MPG600 and the AverMedia card.

I never could get the ivtv driver built until I went through all the steps I
listed above. If there are RPMs available, I just didn't use 'em, cause my
main reason for going MythTV as opposed to Snapstream (or even TiVo) is the
opportunity to change all the code and customize it...so I build everything
from source, where possible. It's necessary to do the things I want to do
(like patching the kernel for the bootsplash screen). For me, this was the
minimum set of tasks to get everything built from source.

And see, I'd be compiling the kernel no matter what, just to pull out Ham
Radio support et al.... :-)

_Brent