[mythtv-users] Re: Patch for Avermedia M179

Brent W. York BWYork at comcast.net
Tue Dec 23 08:23:30 EST 2003

>>>I have downloaded the ivtv CVS install, I have also gotten the .patch
>>>file for the M179 capture card for it.  However, this is my *nix
>>>ignorance shinning through, I can not get the patch to apply without
>>>have a couple of errors.  I have tried the following:
>>
>> Robert Kulagowski has posted a tarball of CVS-LATEST + Jens' 1125A +
>> Chris Pinkham's M179 + Anduin's close stream:
>
>The latest CVS-LATEST tarball has the majority of those patches in
>Roberts tarball, so you shouldn't need to patch CVS-LATEST from the ivtv
>home page.  Otherwise, use Roberts tarball, but I would recommend trying
>the plain CVS-LATEST first.

...but ivtv can be tricky to get built. You have to have everything just so
in the headers. I just spent the better part of the weekend getting my Yuan
MPG600 card up and running. After several abortive attempts, here's what
Worked For Me:

- Install RH9 (or your distro of choice...)
- Install 2.4.23 kernel source from http://www.kernel.org
- Apply V4L2 patches to kernel from http://bytesex.org/patches/2.4.23-1/
- (Optional, but cool: apply bootsplash patches to kernel from
   ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/stepan/bootsplash/kernel/)
- Configure and build the new kernel
- Reboot into the new kernel
- Build and install any custom drivers (e.g., my nForce2 mobo has a custom
   driver for the on-board Ethernet)
- Download latest tarball of ivtv driver w/MPG600 support from

http://www.smalltime.com/bob/ivtv-cvs-latest+1125A+M179+close_stream.tar.bz2
   (See http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=PatchesHowTo)
- In ivtv.h, change the subsystem ID for the MPG600 from 0xfff3 to 0xffff
   (er, but not strictly necessary if you're using an M179...)
- In Makefile, comment out the definition of NEW_I2C, and change KERNELDIR
   if necessary
- Build and install the ivtv driver
- Modify /etc/modules.conf as required
   (see http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-view_faq.php?faqId=1#q13)
- Get Hauppauge firmware using
   wget http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/software/pvr250/pvr250_17_21226.exe
- Extract firmware with
   /usr/src/ivtv/utils/ivtvfwextract.pl pvr250_17_21226.exe
- Reboot again for good measure
- Do cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg to see if the card is working
- Ready for MythTV!

_Brent